Meet our Head of Product who #BreaksTheBias everyday
At Connectr, we know your people are your most critical asset. Our people turn ideas into action and proudly write the success stories of tomorrow. In celebration of International Women’s Day 2022, we shine a light on our Head of Product, Talia.
Every day Talia #BreaksTheBias as a woman in tech and unleashes and optimises the magic of Connectr’s platforms. Here, she shares just how she does it.
What does your typical day look like?
“I spend a lot of my day talking to people, which I love! I also spend time supporting my team on their goals and objectives, hearing about any barriers they are facing, and ensuring they feel motivated and happy.
You’ll also find me:
- Working on strategy-based research, looking at trends in the market and how these impact product decisions.
- Reviewing processes within our team to ensure everything is working efficiently and in the best way it can for our people.
- Talking to our customers to understand how we could be solving their problems better with our products.
- Exploring commercial discussions around sales pipeline, profit margins or reviewing pricing strategies.
- Reviewing our security processes as the product grows and changes, to ensure we maintain our high standard.
- Talking to product people from other companies – that peer-to-peer mentoring is the best!”
What words of advice would you give to women looking to accelerate their careers today?
- “When you are starting out, it feels overwhelming to know the right path to take. The reality is – whatever job you go for, it is a great first step! Until you are in the working world, it’s impossible to fully understand the different industries and opportunities available. Don’t put too much pressure on that first decision – you’ll learn what you love and the learnings to take forward in your next career move.
- Work on a growth mindset. There will be times when you feel out of your depth. (Remember, even the most experienced people still second guess themselves at times!). See challenging opportunities as a journey you’re excited to be on. Put yourself out there, ask questions and don’t be afraid to fail.
- Know the power of peer-to-peer learning. Finding a mentor in the Product space has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. Each week I put aside around 30-mins to chat with other people in Product to share ideas. You’d be surprised how many people are happy to chat – so network and learn from others out there!
- Remain true to who you are – don’t mould yourself into what you feel you ‘should’ be. There is so much power in individuality, so bring your own experience and voice to the table.”
Who do you most admire in business and why?
“When Emma Glassford-Biggs started at Connectr a few months ago, she told me about Teresa Torres. Teresa is an amazing leader in the Product space and the absolute queen of product discovery. She really emphasises how important it is for Product teams to refine their ideas through a deep understanding of real user problems. Teresa teaches an approach that ensures Product teams consistently deliver value, whilst always doing product discovery. Continuous discovery is a habit that is integral to product success.”
Talia is just one of the amazing women leading the change at Connectr. And there’s good news – we’re expanding. If you’d like to join our team, check out the range of available roles here.